Monday, October 5, 2009

Out-of-reach, reaching out.

In the past week, I survived…

Neck-deep, muddy flood waters,
Two days with minimal food and water intake,
Three days without cellphone signal,
Four days without electricity,
Nine days without internet.

But while the flood was ruining the entire first floor of our house and our three cars, my family and I remained calm-- oblivious to the extent of damage that Ondoy has inflicted on the entire metro. We didn’t have electricity; no batteries for the radio; no cellphone signal. In short, no communication to the outside world. We didn’t know people were looking for us (thanks for the concern, guys!). We didn’t realize that other areas are experiencing even higher flood levels. We were too overwhelmed to think about the rest of the world and we had nothing to remind us that we were not the only ones in the same situation. We only had our neighbors to talk to from our terrace and they were just as oblivious as we were.

It was only when the waters receded and the muddy destruction became evident that we realized that a lot of people must have suffered the same fate. My dad walked to the nearest establishment to buy food, batteries and other provisions. When he came back, he told us of what he heard while holding back his tears. At that point, we were no longer isolated victims. We were citizens of the world again.

I’m actually thankful for that short time that we didn’t have any means of communication. It allowed us to remain calm when we needed to be calm. However, I’m more grateful now that, through media and the internet, I already know what happened and what’s happening around me, and, more importantly, how I can help.

No comments: