Saturday, August 30, 2008

Lack of support from NGOs

When I was assigned as a legislative staff of one of the senators in the Senate, one of our routine tasks was to draft bills and resolutions to be filed by our senator.

I remember we drafted many bills related to information and technology, namely a bill on cybercrime prevention and a bill on defining and penalizing cybersex.

As of even date, none of these bills have been approved. I think we are not lacking in legislation when it comes to information and technology. I think what is lacking is support and consistent lobbying for the passage the bills.

During committee hearings in the senate, where I myself acted as committee officer in charge, I noticed that when bills in IT were being discussed, only representatives from DOST and members of the academe were usually present.

Maybe it can be a big help if more NGOs would lobby for IT related bills in congress.

No comments: