Thursday, January 14, 2010

Early Termination Fee = Contract of Adhesion



I recently wanted to terminate my sun broadband internet connection due to the poor service I was getting. Unfortunately, I was tied to a 24 month lock-in period. I then inquired regarding their early termination fee.

The service representative replied that the early termination fee is equivalent to ALL the remaining months of the contract. In other words, I would have to pay the remaining 23 months of the lock-in period and that terminating the contract due to the poor service is not really an option.

This is another area where it appears that consumer rights are not being protected. Of course, it would be easy to just not pay (I’ve never heard of a telecom suing one of their subscribers and the existence of a contract of adhesion can be prove). However, it would still lead to inconvenience when all the consumer is asking for is reliable service.

(5th Entry)

No comments: