Thursday, January 12, 2012

The cons of being connected


I always thought being connected through the many social networking sites is a good thing.  I get to stay in touch with family and friends.  I keep up to date with what’s going on in their lives without having to purposely meet for the same purpose.  However, after some years of getting connected via these social networking sites, I realize its disadvantages.  Inspired my RX TMR’s Top 10, here is my list of the disadvantages of being connected. 

Where on earth were you?

With almost all of my friends on these social networking sites, it has become a sin not to know things about them.  You cannot miss their latest acquisitions or their latest losses and if you miss one, you will certainly get lost.  I’m sure you know what I mean.

Time flies so fast.

We all need a break, and these social networking sites can definitely give us the entertainment.  However, although we may have planned a 10 minute break, it ends up we spend a little more.  For humans like most of us, it sometimes gets the best of us.  The break becomes a distraction and we fail to do what we should do.

Inedible spam.

I like how my professors put the prohibition on cellphones during class.  They hate phones that do not belong to them.  Well, I also hate messages that do not belong to me.  I know there is such a thing as advertising, but there is also such a thing as responsible advertising.    

Oh no you didn’t.

We all know a picture paints a thousand words, but an unsightly picture of your beau doing an unsightly thing can also paint a thousand hate words.  Bad.  I know.  But with these social networking sites, it’s difficult not to be seen.  And if you are one to keep some secrets, be extra careful.      

Account Hacking.

We are all familiar with the “Keep me logged in” option which we usually tick for convenience.  However, this convenience can also turn into inconvenience.  Sometimes, out of haste, we fail to double check if we have really logged out of all our accounts before leaving the computer, this is more problematic when it is not your computer.  Some computers also have the “automatically save password” feature. And although your password may be hidden as you type, a hacker would only need a user name.

(To be continued…)

Maricor Estrella, Entry #4    

No comments: