Friday, July 11, 2008

Embracing (and Indulging in) the Internet

This is my first blog entry. And as much as I proclaimed that I would never blog for reasons which oftentimes offend my blogger friends, here I am making my first blog entry. Indeed, the technology era has invaded our lives making more and more recalcitrant people, like me, realize that it is not just a fad or technical eureka but a utility or way of life. The proliferation of prepaid Internet cards, DSL plans, online games, virtual private networks, online content services, online banking, and online marketing strategies to name a few attests to this.

Alexander Villafania, in his 2004 article published in the Philippine Star, “Looking back at 10 years of Internet in RP”, provides an interesting backdrop for the emergence of Internet in the Philippines. He cites that the Internet was seen as “nothing more than a fad that would pass into oblivion” which was also my mindset being not as technical savvy as my friends. The telephone was seen as a sufficient communication medium along with the pager. But it was eventually the telephone which paved the way for internet to exist in the country.

He claims that the PHNet is the first Philippine organization to connect to the World Wide Web using the PABX network. He also claims that if there is one who deserves to be called a progenitor of Internet connectivity in the Philippines, it is Mozcom President William Torres dubbed as “grandfather of Internet” in the country. William Torres along with other Philippine internet visionaries saw the potential of Internet. At first it was the domain of the technical geeks and those in the academe in communicating with educational institutions since it was seen as cheaper than the phone and fax but later on the commercial aspect would eventually catch up. Gradually, online businesses proliferated and Cybercities in Makati, The Fort, Eastwood, Alabang to name a few were established with a lot more in development. Call centers flourished with PLDT and Globe providing the larger bandwidths necessary for the industry. Mobile applications are tapped realizing the extent of mobile phone usage. And evidently, the Internet has invaded the country.

And rightfully so, it has invaded me. Before, I used to pride myself in having my borrower’s card filled out to the last entry. But now, I just google the topic and voila! All the references are available to me. Before I used to write to relatives abroad but now, I just send an offline message and schedule our time for chatting. Before I used to worry that my thesis or papers would get lost. Now I can safely secure a soft copy through my email account. Before I used to book manually for flights. Now, it is a matter of going to websites and booking online. Now, I have a lot of email addresses under my name. I use the Internet to download music and movies. And now, I comply with blog instead of paper requirement in class.

But just as these moments are emphasized, the ugly issues and controversies also need stressing. The downside bears emphasis. My aunt never ceases to warn me of frauds and net scams. Just a week ago, I had my DSL connection repaired. I myself have yet to believe that doing research in the Internet is better than poring over books and references in the library as I was trained to utilize only 10-20% materials obtained through the Internet in my undergraduate papers. I have yet to create my own Friendster and Blogspot accounts. And I have yet to make my first purchase online.

Undeniably, the Internet has become an important tool for society at large and will be integrated much deeper into our lives. With everything it has brought to the Philippines, I can only surmise the endless possibilities it will bring years hence.

No comments: