Thursday, June 25, 2009

Black is the new green.

Recently, a friend of mine introduced me to a new search engine called “Blackle”. She asked me if I’d already heard about it and I said I haven’t and added in jest that the name sounded like that of a dog’s- “Blacky.” Pardon the pun, but the search engines I’m familiar with are the ones I often use, which are Google, and Yahoo.

She proceeded to show me the site and as the name had it, the entire screen went dark. The background was, of course, black and the font was in white or gray.


Yay, it’s the black version of Google! The gods have finally heard my prayers! (My eyes are sensitive to the color white.) Not only did I find it neat, it served a purpose. It saves energy- 750-megawatt hours a year to be exact.


How? It is said that it takes more power to display a white screen than a dark screen. Imagine the amount of energy we shall save by converting our homepages into it. With this, we can actually go “green” not just by recycling but by going virtually “black” too.

Visit and switch your homepage to Blackle.com. Let us (as their tag line puts it) start saving energy “one search at a time.”


And no, I’m not a paid endorser of the site. I’m just a fan. =)

2 comments:

Emil Rey I Balaleng said...

I love Blackle too! =)

Katrina Aglibot said...

ako rin! i'm a newbie fan! coolness. just plain coolness.