Thursday, March 4, 2010

Communicative Depressive.

Studies link heavy internet use to depression.

I think it depends on what you do online. I think I was mildly depressed when I was still working for an e-learning company a few years back, because I felt that my life revolved only around work. Working from home, it was difficult to detach myself from work. Life was a series of deadlines, day in and day out. Boss from the US even shipped VOIP phone so that I can be in constant communication with him, and can conduct phone conferences with our clients' project heads stationed in the US. Back here, I would send lots of email, YM messages and texts to my team, co-workers here in the Philippines.

It was tiring: I needed to have good rapport with my boss, the clients and with my team. Oftentimes there was no time for relaxation, because I was just "sooo good at my job". (Translation: I was a pushover.) And if this is the kind of heavy internet use that the study speaks of as basis, I wouldn't be surprised why it would lead to depression. But being online to chat socially with other people? I think not.

source:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8493149.stm

13th entry by Awi Mayuga

No comments: