Sunday, March 6, 2011

I'LL MISS YOU, MR. W!

I finally filed my OLA-required initiatory pleading last week after 2 semesters of wrestling with the facts of the case, reconstructing missing evidence, helping my client obtain original documents from various government agencies, informally mediating between the opposing parties. What made this particular case particularly challenging is that other than my client's bi-weekly visits to OLA, there was no other way of contacting him. Coupled with the fact he lived in Batangas, I still marvel how we were both able to manage more hits than misses when it came to meet-ups.

My teammate observed that the cost of getting a phone -- even if it had to be one those cheap yet effective Cherry Mobile ones -- is a more viable option when contrasted with all the time he spent waiting for me at the OLA office on random days when he'd sometimes show up unannounced. But I've learned to anticipate his visits after establishing a pattern. I've also learned to leave little notes at the front desk, draw maps, establish EB points from Philcoa to the Hall of Justice Lobby ("basta dun lang po kayo sa tabi ng Landbank ATM ha? wag po kayo aalis dun.") and write angry letters/make angry phone calls to government agencies that refused to grant him audience since he wasn't able to set up an appointment (again, he had no phone to make prior arrangements.) Looking back, I learned a lot from my client. The value of perseverance, patience and going after your dreams. I'm inspired how he was able to complete all the tasks with me sans any form of technological communication. I remember that there were times when I wanted to absent from OLA duty due to fatigue, a terrible cold or this one time when I had this extra-gross eye wound (I poked my eyeball). But time and again, I got up knowing that he'd be there waiting, like clockwork. I'm still amazed how he was able to singlehandedly obtain every single document necessary to his Complaint with minimal instructions.

To Mr. W, thanks for everything! I don't think I'll ever forget you and I wish you all the best. -- LI Miranda

No comments: