Friday, August 3, 2007

1 TB of wireless storage, anyone?

I was in 6th grade when our family purchased our first computer. I remember then, the maximum portable storage consisted of 1.4mb (remember the huge floppy drives?). Our 356 processor then had around 200mb of hard disk storage. Later on, since we wanted more space for our files, we had another drive added, which was to function as our slave drive. I remember then that we also wanted to purchase a zip drive (but thank God we didn't)

More than a decade later, our family bought more computers (our 356 is still alive, by the way), which all had storage of at 20 to 120gb. Since my ibook only has 7gb disk space left, I purchased an external hard drive which had 200gb (at that time, it was already the external drive with the most number of gigabytes). I also have a 2gb usb thumb drive. Surfing the net, I find usb thumb drives with 64gb worth of storage space, while in the stores, I find external hard drives with 500gb worth of storage. Just when I thought that these storage devices are already the most advanced in terms of storage capacity, here comes a product from Iomega.

Tagged as the Iomega StorCenter Wireless Network Storage, it contains 1TB (1 terrabyte = 1000gbs) of storage space. It also boasts of the convenience of wireless access that is possible for multiple users - for windows and mac users alike. it's best for extremely data-intensive projects, and for multitudinous media file downloads. It likewise allows reliable recovery in case of a failure. This wireless storage could even take the place of servers for small offices.

This is wonderful news for me, of course! However, considering that the device is wireless and is only protected by certain passwords, it may not be hacker proof. Data integrity may hence be at stake.

For a review about the product, check this out.

No comments: