Thursday, September 4, 2008

Conscientious Consumerism

For the most part, I pride myself on being a pretty conscientious shopper. I buy only what I need to buy, and (again, for the most part) I pay only for products that I truly believe in.

What I have never done, however, is buy anything online. For the life of me, I find it hard to trust that I will get what I pay for. Perhaps Ebay's tie-up with the website WorldofGood.com will change all that.

Run by World of Good Inc., the website is committed to supplying the global market with what they purport to be "ethical consumer products", committed to putting the focus not only on profit but also on the building of a social impact through the business. They do this by selling products that are geared to both service needs while aligning social values of the consumers. All the backgrounds of the products sold on the site are given in detail. In some instances, part of the purchase proceeds even benefit the charities that help run these community-developed businesses. Cloth weavers in India, fair-trade coffee from Nepal - whatever you might need, they promise to present a unique product alternative, ethically procured and produced at that.

As an added precaution to skeptical consumers such as me, the company promises verification of sellers by independent organizations such as Rainforest Alliance and Co-op America.

For a person like me who believes that everything can be purchased in Divisoria, this concept is novel and unique. I am excited at the possibilities not only of purchasing items that I cannot purchase here (without having to go all the way around the world to be secure in my purchase), but I am even more excited at the opportunities that a site like this could provide for our own Filipino trades and crafts.

No comments: