Monday, September 29, 2008

Teh Wurld of Lolz

While browsing the big bad world of the interwebs one day, I encountered the early manifestation of a strange internet phenomenon. I was checking out a tv show thread and I saw a post that was severely butchered grammatically which made it quite indecipherable (to me at least). At first I thought that the poster was just typing in haste hence the mangled statements. When I saw him post in the same manner in another thread, my next thought was that English may not be his first language and if he did speak English, he might not be the sharpest tool in the shed. I just did not think that the poster was doing it deliberately. Because if he did, wtf is wrong with him?!

That was a year ago.

Now, lolspeak is everywhere. For the uninformed, lolspeak is somewhat similar to textspeak. It is writing words with different letters (but sound the same) than the original spelling or it can be misspelling on purpose. Lolspeak now basically includes any form of typed text language that is not in proper English (usually in reference to cute cat pictures because it originated as the captions for images of teh kitteh). A fairly easy sample of lolspeak which I will proceed to translate later goes like this: “teh lolspeek iz fun. i wud liek any tipz on improovin mah language. i can has ice scream?” In English: “The lolspeak is fun. I would like any tips on improving my language. Can I have ice cream?” It’s like gay lingo for the internet junkies.

What started as a style of typing for people who often couldn't spell words properly, it has now turned into a "cool" method of social communication between humans. (Well, at least some humans seem to think so.) Several acronyms and misspelled words later, lolspeak has slowly overtaken not just everyday speech but also the written word of God. Seriously, some lolspeak aficionado is trying to translate the Bible in LOLcat. I kid you not! I hope the Pope never gets wind of this development. There’s only so much LOLs he can take.


http://icanhascheezburger.com/2007/04/24/lol-kitteh-as-a-second-language-lksl-101-in-five-easy-steps/

2 comments:

rosanne said...

"It's like gay lingo for the internet junkies."

"I hope the Pope never gets wind of this development."

-- hahaha, so true! pero baka di rin naman maintindihan ni Pope, so baka di rin siya affected. after all, God's Word supposedly knows no language; it's getting the Message across. :)

June Catherine TaƱedo said...

and my personal favorite shiz... LOL! LMAO! LMFAO! (are you mentally shooting me in the head now?)