Friday, June 26, 2009

The News Race

Commentator: And they’re off! Cable Television makes a strong start, while Radio follows closely behind. Newspaper is trailing last. But look! The Internet zooms by and it just passed Newspaper, Radio and Cable Television! They’re all eating The Internet’s dust! What an incredible finish by The Internet!

In reality, the speed of news travel depends on one’s choice of media. When Michael Jackson died on June 25, 2009 at 1900 GMT (or at 1:00 am, June 26, 2009 Philippine time), most Filipinos were already sleeping (as I were). Thus, I knew about Michael Jackson's death just before our ICT class. Emil was surfing the Web when he chanced upon the news. That was nine-ish in the morning on June 26, 2009. Had I been surfing that night, I would’ve known beforehand. And look, if I had no Internet, no TV, no Radio, I would’ve known that he’s dead only on the papers.

As an aside, my brother texted me this: “Ate! Huhu! Jacko’s dead na! I’m so depressed! :(” and he was serious. He’s a big fan. When he was in grade school, he even chose to sing “Give Love on Christmas Day” for a school musical.

Rest in Peace Michael Jackson. You will live forever through your music.

1 comment:

Ma. Lourdes C. Polido said...

learned about it via internet also, checked my mail before going to class and i couldnt believe it!! spent the rest of the day watching MJ shows, haha.