Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Breaking Up Is Hard To Do

1 message received.
"It’s not working. We’re over. I’m sorry"
Braking up through text. I’ve been hearing horror stories from friends about this strange phenomenon (thankfully, I haven’t been a victim of it and hopefully I won’t ever be).
Sure it’s efficient and saves time, effort, tears and awkward moments. But come on. Are we really that busy to substitute a personal and intimate talk with our special someone with a short, not more than 160 character text message worth 1 peso (or even free if you’re with the UNLITXT promo)? I find the practice cowardly, insensitive and nerve-wracking. It’s as if everything special you shared gets reduced to a mere directive that’s transmitted in a few seconds.
There’s no easy way to break somebody’s heart, as the song goes. Break-ups are painful so deal with it. But I have a feeling breaking up through text is here to stay. People will succumb to this activity for its mere efficiency. So watch out. You’ll never know what your next text message might say.

No comments: