Thursday, December 11, 2008

Skype

My dad is a marine engineer and this means that he’s out of the country for the most part of the year. Since the advent of the internet and his discovery of skype, we have had the opportunity to talk and see each other almost every day, albeit through our monitors. Regardless, I still get to see his face and hear his voice while he shows me what he’s having for lunch. I can hear the scratch in his voice if he’s getting a cold and he sees my sunken eyes when I haven’t had enough sleep. If only for this minute semblance of connection, I would have to say that I appreciate, and even celebrate, technology and its innovations. Especially one that is free! It really is amazing how it can make my dad, who is miles away, seem like he is right here in our living room.

Sometimes, though, I have to admit that this whole set-up makes me miss him more and makes me wish that I can hug and kiss him for real. But I guess, all things considered, this is better than nothing at all.

No comments: