Monday, September 14, 2009

Web Blocker

I used to think that the site-blocking being implemented by the House of Representatives was a big load of crap. I couldn't check the status of my free online games, update my facebook account, nor keep track of my eBay or Amazon purchases. As per office rules and regulations, blocked sites cannot be accessed from 7am-12nn and 1pm-5pm; and I used to really hate it.

However, an article in yesterday's Inquirer changed my mind. Close to 6 man hours of work are lost every week to non-work related searches and site visits. That is 6 out of an average 40 hours or 15%! This means that for an employee who gets paod P20,000.00/month, that's P3,000.00 being spent for employees' non-work related online activities!

For a private employer, this is a lot of wasted cash. For government institutions, this is precious taxpayers' money gone down the drain.

P3,000.00 a month can go a long way, when multiplied by the thousands of government employees in the service. Maybe the site-blocking policy indeed has some logic.

No comments: