Monday, September 17, 2007

Microsoft Ordered to Pay

Read this.

This is very interesting for me because in the Philippines, I have yet to see a case filed against either Smart or Globe for violations against the Revised Penal Code on monopolies. What is more interesting about the Microsoft case is that they were also ordered to share the code that they use to other corporations. I think this is a way that would create an environment that is more conducive to innovation in the field of software.
Now, if a case is to be filed against Globe or Smart for unfair competition, or monopolizing the telecommunications industry, would it work out here in our environment? Will the NTC have the gall and the will to pursue such an action? The bottom line is that both entities are virtually controlling the telecommunications sector in the Philippines. As a Globe subscriber, I was just informed by Globe that I would receive a rebate of 800 pesos per month for 24 months because of my loyalty to Globe. I thought that this was not really something alluring for me as a consumer because in the first place this does not entail any capital outlay for Globe. What they pay for is the bandwidth. The cost of this is not even disclosed to the public. That is why efforts have to be made in order for the millions of texters in the Philippines to know the real cost of the services that these two firms offer. And this is through an anti-trust case.

No comments: