Saturday, August 30, 2008

Children and ICT

I’m really amazed at how early children nowadays can develop interest in computers.

Coming home from school, my five-year-old son always wants to sit in front of the computer. Usually, he just plays computer games. But sometimes, he asks me to teach him how to write letters using the computer. He studies how to use the keyboard. He even wants to use the computer when he does his assignments.

Sometimes it really amazes me how fast children learn how to use computers, not to mention cellphones. My son actually knows how to compose and send text messages, and to think he barely knows how to read his lessons in class.

In the school where my son studies, they teach computer lessons in the first grade. I believe teaching children how to be computer literate at an early age helps them speed us their learning capacity. Using the computer trains them to think faster, and to react faster.
If only we can provide computers for all schools in the country, particularly public schools. That would be a great help in improving the kind of education our children get.

Unfortunately, we still have to wait until our government can provide computers for public schools.

On a personal note, I’m not sure if I should encourage my son’s interest in using computers and cellphones at an early age. It can be helpful for his studies, but it can also distract him at the same time. I know it will take just a few months more before he starts spending hours playing those on-line games in the internet. He spends around 3 hours playing his psp now.

No comments: