Thursday, August 28, 2008

The inequality spawned by the information age

Access to ICT is an enormous edge against those who don't. In third-world countries, majority of the populace have limited access to ICT, hence creating an elite few. The social pyramid is made steeper. An example of this is my day today. I have no internet access at home. Hence, I was not able to access my e-mail last night. Hence, I went to my ICT class not knowing that there is no class. Kidding aside, Information and Communication, although argued by some as fundamental rights, cannot be obtained without resources. Those with resources obtain these and make their lives more effecient and productive. Those without resources are deprived of a tool in productivity. And the lacuna coil goes on. ICT, in this sense, widens the social gap between those atop the social pyramid and those at the base. What is the first step in solving the problem? To listen to the lyrics of the song "Tatsulok."

No comments: