Friday, August 29, 2008

Protection from Connection

Our professor always tells us that once we are connected to the internet, we are connected to the whole world, and anything could happen. Another mantra is that the safest computer is the one that has not been connected to the internet, ever…wait! It is actually the computer that has not been turned on.

Last week our boarding house landlady agreed to let us connect to the whole world, by subscribing to the P990 DSL bundle pack by PLDT. And then one of my board mates suggested to have a wireless router device, which expense my landlady eventually adopted.

It was great, I can sign in to my email anytime. I don’t have to wait for the rain to stop for me to go to the computer shop. I can blog on time. But recently I’m having problems with my computer. Unbelievably it slowed, and I’m slowly losing my faith in Kaspersky. Yesterday I had a denial of service attack – Word’s response time was a minute per command, per click. Unbelievable.

I thought maybe it was because I automatically connect to the internet because of the router. And that modified Trojans my version of Kaspersky can detect but cannot obliterate are lurking somewhere with a time bomb of denial-of-service attacks every now and then.

Maybe I should actually purchase a license key. I should stop downloading keys from Mininova.com that will only be blacklisted later. Maybe I should get the latest version.

It has been said that access to the internet is not for everyone. From those who have access, only a percentage are adequately protected. Among those who are protected, only a few have genuine license keys actually legitimately purchased.

Francis Bacon said that knowledge is power. It depends. Practical power needs money. For me to be able to defend my computer from viruses and other types of computer illnesses (ie malwares), either I buy a genuine computer security guard software or depend on freeware, which is not as reliable as the genuine. Well, I might just make the most out of freeware for now.

No comments: