Monday, November 28, 2011

Billion Dollar Baby


A few weeks back the UN celebrated the birth of the seven billionth baby born into the world, Danica (Philippine representative). Let me correct myself, one of the seven billionth babies to be born into this world. In fact, Russia, India, the Philippines and numerous other countries are fighting over who gets to be tagged with the “prestigious” title.
It was paraded in internet sites, facebook, webpages where a lot of other people have easy access to and can easily be affected with the joyous celebratory feel of it all. I really cannot understand where the cause of celebration lies. If I were the mother of the child, I would be closing all my windows, banging the door shut, smoldering at the reporters and threatening the paparazzi to move away from my home. The celebration is for me a landmark, a negative one. A huge reminder that there is a looming and persisting overpopulation problem and that there is a lack of laws or proper implementation of laws in our country and all over the world to prevent the increase of population growth.
Out of the seven billion people in the world, property is not the only issue, with this follows a plethora of other problems, lack of education, hunger problems, pollution, garbage, I could go on and on (and I will in my succeeding entries. Let this first post set the ranting tone of my would be succeeding posts XD).  I wouldn’t want my child to be the walking  talking reminder of where the system failed, or a reminder for me of how much I didn’t do for the world.
So yeah, without disrespecting their humanity, who wants to become the period at the end of an unsuccessful millennium? 

By Trisha Isabelle F. Fernandez Test Post. :)

No comments: