Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Code is Law (Introduction)

This is not a how-to course on ICT. We're supposed to go "meta": elevate ourselves to a level where we can see patterns and implications. But we can't start theorizing in a vacuum: Conditions "on the ground" are also relevant.

I am a programmer. Or at least, I used to be one. That is probably why Lawrence Lessig's notion that "code is law" appeals to me. Law, for all it's self-important bluster, is often the weakest form of constraint in a digital environment. It is code - programming - that will ultimately determine the allocation of rights online.

A lot of my blog entries will focus on specific chunks of technology. I'm NOT going to start writing tutorials, but I hope to describe the technologies in such a way that can be correlated with concerns like convergence, or privacy, or intellectual property.

No comments: