Saturday, December 22, 2007

CELL PHONE AND THE INTERNET

Someone asked me before why go for a complicated phone when you can get a basic phone and just use the money that you can save to buy a camera or a music player. He pointed out to me that I do not even use all the features of the phone that I am using. For instance, he asked me if I really use the music player or the net. Well, at that point in time, I somewhat saw how having the net via the cell phone is redundant because it is a function of my phone that I seldom use because it is still easier to connect via the conventional desktop or laptop. But, for instances wherein you don’t really have a computer at your fingertips having your cell phone is the next best thing since it would also allow you to be online. Recently, I was glad that my phone can connect me to the internet because it allowed me to check my mail even if I didn’t have a computer with me and I also didn’t have any access to an internet shop.

Having internet connection via your cell phone is a convenient tool but it still has a few problems. For one, the speed of the connection is slower compared with the conventional broadband connection. There is also a limited screen size and the lack of the qwerty keyboard. I suppose, the problem with the qwerty keyboard will depend on what cell phone model you are using so if you would really need one then you can opt for a built-in keyboard or you can go for a wireless keyboard. I do hope that, in the future, our providers would be able to improve on the speed of the connection so that it would be a more appealing alternative.

At the moment I would definitely not replace my broadband connection with my cell phone but having an alternative option will surely be appreciated especially during those times when I need to be connected. But who knows, maybe in the future I will be making more use of this function of my cell phone.

No comments: