Friday, December 14, 2007

From Google to Global

I love google earth. I love the fact that I could look at various parts of the globe in great detail. It’s like travelling for free. It only takes a few keystrokes to get from Japan to Europe and from Europe to the United States. I find it fascinating just looking around clicking at various destinations. Indeed, the world is at our fingertips.

But the wonders of google earth are not purely for leisure. I use google earth for a variety of reasons, some of which are very helpful.

I remember a time when I had to go to Paranaque Metropolitan Trial Court for our clinical legal studies program. I was attending a hearing. Unfortunately, it was in the middle of finals week and the notice got delayed and arrived only few days before. Needless to say, I was pressed for time. The night before the hearing, I suddenly realized that I did not know how to get to the Paranaque court. It was 2:00 AM. Having no one to turn to, I decided to turn to google earth. I was excited to find out that it was able to point out the location. I carefully studied the route and the next day, my trip was practically hitch-free.

Google earth is also useful whenever you are travelling abroad. It not only allows you to get a better idea of where you are going, it also helps you see the location of the airport, your hotel, tourist destinations and the distance between them. It also contains pictures in case you are getting tired of seeing just roads and rooftops. It also has links to other services such as lodging and transportation to help you plan your travel in the most convenient way.

In the course of using Google earth, whether for leisure or a specific purpose, one cannot help but develop a global perspective. You begin to see how small the world is and how countries and governments interact. You begin to understand the rationale of regional organizations such as ASEAN, NATO and the European Union. You begin to think about the pattern of economic development and the cooperation /competition that exists among nations.

In Asia, we have some of the richest and poorest countries in the world. On one hand, we have first world countries like Japan and Singapore and on the other, we have struggling countries like Afghanistan and Myanmar. It is as if countries like the Philippines are being asked to make a choice: which path do we want to take? Countries like China and India seem to have made the choice towards development. I hope the recent economic stability we have been enjoying, as it is seemingly true, is indicative that we have made the same decision.

Perhaps we should tell our government officials to use google earth. That way, they will be reminded at how petty some of our issues are and how vital it is for our country to become globally competitive. Countries are unshackling their borders. We cannot afford to be stuck with dead-end politics, petty quarrels and useless bickering when everyone else is gearing up for the global arena.

- Elgene L. C. Feliciano

No comments: