Sunday, December 2, 2007

Love/Hate Relationship

“I love Spam!” is what I used to say about the delightful canned meat product we have grown up with. Unfortunately, this is not the case nowadays. The term “spam” has expanded from being a mere kitchen-based word to a worldwide phenomenon. Spam is now more commonly known as any unsolicited or undesired bulk electronic messages via e-mail, the internet, and cellular phones. These are the irritating pop-ups, the text messages from unknown numbers, and the space-consuming, space-wasting e-mails, among others.


Now it is “I hate Spam!” Not only are these a waste of precious inbox space; they are also a monumental waste of time. Deleting these messages alone takes several minutes. As to spam texts, they bother you at the most ridiculous of times, like at the dead of night.


“Apply to ABC Bank and get 0% interest…”; “Order your plasma TV now and get a free TV rack…” and “Obtain an on-line college degree in just one year…” are just some of the different spam messages that plague the ICT-user’s life. They are like tiny pieces of meat stuck in between my two back molars: no matter how hard I try to take them out, it always seems as if there is still something there. I try firewalls; they are still there. Try blocking them too strictly and I lose access to most of the sites on the web.


During these modern times, it is almost impossible to benefit from technology without having to deal with the new Spam. I guess I just have to deal with it for now, up until the time when these spammers get to be fined or even imprisoned! Maybe then, I will come back to loving Spam again.


No comments: