Friday, January 4, 2008

Lessons on Technology in Law School

One of the most convenient things about the Internet--to the mind of the beleaguered law student, at least--is the fact that jurisprudence is literally only a click away. The accessibility not only allows the average Malcolm denizen to escape the confines of the library, but provides an opportunity to access the most recent jurisprudence and comments on prevailing case law from the comforts of his or her own home.

I used to think that many older professionals were simply intent on bemoaning the glory days of their youth whenever they commented that technology has done much to deprive the new generation of aspiring lawyers of "old school training." Some professors still refuse to have laptops opened in their classes, preferring that students take down their notes by hand, while others require hand-written summaries of cases and jurisprudence. It seemed like such a lamentable waste of time, effort, and available resources, in much the same way making your own digest of a case appeared to be an attempt to reinvent the wheel. As in many things, however, four years in law school has taught me to have a little more faith in the teachings of my elders.

Looking back, I realize that the lessons that come easiest to mind are those branded into memory by countless rereadings necessitated by one professor's clean-table policy. In contrast, I find myself scrabbling for my codal in instances when I only gave my readings a cursory glance, secure in the knowledge that a (comparably complete) digest is available in the unfortunate case that I am called to recite. Most of all, I have realized that I am my best, OLA-worthy intern with reference to obscure aspects of law made familiar by foregone sleep, coffee, and the simple terror of a professor. Older and wiser, I've turned my back on lex libris and referred to the original SCRA publication--having learned that not all things convenient are the best or even accurate.

True, resort to technology has made my life as a student far easier and convenient than students of twenty, thirty years ago. Wehave photocopying machines operating at reduced prices, the Internet, and perhaps most importantly, air-conditioned classrooms. However, as with many things, it seems that the best way to learn the law is to go back to basics, at least in my experience. Indeed, technology can be very helpful in the short-term--certainly at midnight, when Blessings is closed. In the long run, on the other hand, I defer to my betters and advocate for learning the old-fashioned way.

No comments: