Sunday, January 13, 2008

Taxing MMORPG's

I just visited a friend who got hospitalized in Medical City to the tune of 100,000 plus php due to his having been confined in the ICU for a severe case of dengue. My friend is an obese fellow who is addicted to an MMORPG, World of Warcraft to be exact, and he had the bad luck to get bitten by a mosquito as he was embarking on one of his marathon gaming sessions. My friend's penchant for taking of his shirt and stroking his tummy while playing computer games contributed to his reduced line of defense against dengue but I digress. My friend doesn't smoke and he doesn't drink but he is addicted to a product that is just as addictive and destructive. My friend is a video game junkie and he has no one to blame but himself.

I smoke, although I have been trying to quit for the environment, and I drink and it is just not fair for me to pay a higher price just to indulge my vices due to sin taxes while my friend gets to pay a relatively cheaper amount in order to cover his addiction. Our vices are all destructive. It makes sense to tax them all. Instead of taxing text messages, the government should impose a sin tax on MMORPGs. Text messaging serves some purpose sometimes while MMORPGs do not. What MMORPGs promote is increased electrical consumption that translates into increased gas, oil or coal consumption that translates into increased environmental problems. MMORPGs are drugs, just like marijuana and cocaine, that lull the weak into an fantasy world where they can engage in unreal activities.

Tax MMORPGs! Leave text messaging alone =)

No comments: