Sunday, January 27, 2008

Not so live disc

I can't watch YouTube in my laptop, cause I don't have flashplayer installed..there's this pop up window that asks whether I want flashplayer installed, but I always just ignore it--afraid that there's a catch.

I've had my share of online installing of applications, but only the really simple ones. And I've never updated a software online. But a friend told me that Rogue Amoeba has a snazzier way of updating softwares: through Live Disc. Apparently, what happens is that when you want to install an application in your computer and you put the installation CD, if you’re online, before your application installs, the Live Disc application will first check if there are any later versions on Rogue Amoeba's server. If there is, it will download that first, then it will install.

But I wonder if that will catch on here in the Philippines, especially given the proliferance of pirated installers..will Live Disc be as Live here?

No comments: