Thursday, November 19, 2009

Convenience and Laziness

Because of the Internet, I don’t have to buy newspapers anymore; I just have to click on inquirer.net, philstar.com or mb.com.ph to read the daily news. I don’t have to go through the regular post mail to send correspondences; I just have to log-in to my Yahoo mail, Gmail or Facebook accounts. I don’t have to go the music or video shops to buy my favorite CDs or DVDs; I just have to go to isohunt.com or youtube.com where I can download, listen, and watch for free and with high quality. I don’t have to have a cable TV to watch my favorite games or shows; I just have to click the link to live streaming, and that’s it. I don’t have to photocopy readings from the SCRA; I just have to go to lawphil.net or sc.judiciary.gov.ph to download assigned cases. I don’t have to go to the library to do research; I just have to google any topic I wish to know about. Sometimes, I don’t even have to go to the bank nor to the respective office to pay our monthly bills and utilities; I can just pay the bills through the net.


True, life has been a lot more convenient because of the Internet. To me now, world is actually just a click away. Through the Internet, I am supposed to save a lot of energy and time to be allotted to other more productive things. But of late, I have fallen prey to the trap of laziness. Instead of doing the things I need to do for my clients in OLA, I spent almost five (5) hours just playing Poker in Facebook, and just browsing through the net. Instead of going to class, I opted to watch the Boston Celtics on live streaming. Instead of running an important errand, I idly downloaded some movies and series while chatting and browsing the web at the same time. Waste of time. Waste of energy. And just tonight, I told myself to finish my first blog entry early, so that I can have enough sleep for tomorrow’s (or, should I say, today’s) early ICT class. I ended up being delayed for about three and a half hours (3 1/2) hours just reading NBA news and articles, and watching videos and chatting.


The Internet has been designed for such purposes as to make life easier for us all. But the snare of laziness due to such convenience is almost inevitable. I know I just have to refocus my priorities. Or, change my attitude in utilizing this technology. Or, simply, develop a good time management plan. Well, as always, it’s easier said than done.


Balisi
First Entry

No comments: