Wednesday, November 18, 2009

why i was absent last nov 13

(first entry by Rowena Ricalde)

Last week, I was one of the random people who attended the Townterview of Hillary Clinton in UST. I was so psyched since she is my idol. Sincerely. My idol. I was one of the fanatics who watched each and every primary result last year where Obama and Hillary were neck and neck in the race.

We were made to wake up an ungodly hour of 4am just to make it to school at 5am and leave UP at 6am. They had tight security checks in UST and all student were required to lineup so they can check our identities and all. No cameras and bags were allowed in the Auditorium.

We were made to email 3 questions to the UP Law coordinator for Hillary just in case she asks us in an Open Forum. I was so excited that I even googled her and all the issues she is interested in so I can make my questions more relevant.

However, I was semi-disappointed. The organizer of the Townterview is ANC. The students were only there as a ready-made audience for the forum and there was no real forum to speak of since it was all rehearsed. Each broadcaster - Maria Ressa, Pinky Webb, Ricky Carandang, Tony Velasco and Ces Drilon, asked three questions each (mind you, most are not relevant nor controversial and worse, some questions we already know the ready-made answers). And the students who asked the questions - Chris Tiu (mind you, not a student anymore but apparently there because he's a good friend of Amb. Kenney), a student from UST, a student from Ateneo de Davao and a student from Siliman UNiversity. NO UP STUDENT was made to ask a question!

Here is the transcript of the Townterview so you can see how irrelevant some of their questions are. If they are trying to have that BBC-Debate Forum format, well, they are a long way from there.

(see http://thenontechiegirlfriend.blogspot.com/2009/11/hillary-clinton-townterview-full.html)

2 comments:

bryansanjuan said...

It's a pity that we didnt get to ask questions. But, I am pleased to hear the United States' commitments to the success of the peace process in Mindanao. The United States was an aggravating cause for the problems in Mindanao, having included the Muslim-dominated portions albeit these were in fact not under US' effective control during colonial occupation of the Philippines.

The United States should be part of the solution to the problem it caused by its forcible occupation of the Philippines once upon a time in our history.

Melissa Ann Sicat said...

Owen, I was looking for you and Joey (and others, you know who hehe)in the audience during the primetime telecast on studio 23, but I didn't catch any familiar face. I was able to see Terry Ridon's interview in TV Patrol though but he's with the rallyists haha.
On a more serious note, Hillary has always been my idol in politics. Full of firsts, indeed. Plus, she married someone who used to be the most powerful man in the world (hehe).I'm actually planning to buy a good biography of her (if I have the time and budget hehe).