Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Stuck with Windows XP

I know I have to study, but I got stuck watching video clips on the net and saw this clip made by College Humor about the Matrix running in Windows XP. I found it funny, because I have encountered some of the glitches shown there while using XP. Like the slow progress bar, pressing ctrl+alt+del to end unnecessary processes, encountering errors in programs which required me to send the error report online (but what about if I don't have internet access), and even to the extent of experiencing the fatal error where the computer starts but would not continue to the main XP page, it would just get stuck with the blue screen. 

I think some of the problems there were not really because of XP, but because of the programs installed in the computer and the memory capacity of the RAM and stuff. But I am not really sure, as I am not a techie and I only got those information from my techie boyfriend.

Currently, I am also still  using XP. I did experience MS DOS in grade school days, when our Computer subject involves playing Math Rescue. I also experienced using Windows 98, and I still use it to reformat my laptop and computer (I don't really know how to format the disk drive so I just use Windows 98). We used XP directly from Windows 98 but my mom's laptop is running on Vista, so somehow I get to experience the performance of Vista.

There's a new operating system from Microsoft now, Microsoft 7. They said its better than XP, and fixes almost all the problems in Vista, and looks like a rip-off of Mac. Most of the reviews I read about it was good, so it made me think if I want to upgrade my OS. However, as most of the original softwares sold in the Philippines, it would probably cost more. Thus, pirated softwares are patronized in our country.

It's the same with Mac. Although it would have been cool to own a Mac Book, and use Mac OS, it's one of the most expensive computers in the market today. They now do offer a 13 inch laptop for, I think, Php60,000.00 but why would my mom buy me one? I should be working now, instead of still studying.

So I am stuck with XP. I don't generally have a problem with XP. Aside from the problems showed in the video, I don't encounter that much. It's not that bad, I guess. It works faster than Vista and at least I know how to customize it so that it would run faster and would look better. I once downloaded a program that would make the interface of XP look like a Mac. Haha faker!

But who knows? Maybe I'll receive a Mac book this Christmas. Haha wishful thinking.

2 comments:

Melissa Ann Sicat said...

Cha, we have the same wish. I also want a Mac Book hehe(my biggest regret was not investing in one back in the good ol'days when I was a working girl, aargh!)
Anyway, our PC is also running on XP and so far so good (actually I hate changing operating systems. I guess I tend to develop emotional attachments to everything, even computer applications hehe)

Cha Mendoza said...

Haha mel, Emo! :D