Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Pervasiveness of the Internet (wow, motherhood statement?)





That was Gina Alajar on the fact that "The Buzz" used her Facebook Status and page to fuel the Manny Pacquiao-Krista Ranillo issue.


I found myself saying something similar months back.


Yahoo! Used to have Yahoophotos where you could upload your pictures in albums and organize it, ala Flicker or Photobucket. But when they closed down, they gave their users an option to automatically transfer the photos to other photo-hosting sites. I picked Photobucket. But since I can't remember the username and password, and it took time to load the site, I abandoned the account altogether, and was content on uploading pictures on my other social-networking accounts.


One night however, my sister asked me, "Ate, ikaw ba 'to?", referring to a picture of a girl used by a blogsite which promotes Filipinas as suitable wives to foreigners. And it was my picture!


The blog per se was not that bad. It was about the experience of a foreigner who married a Filipina, and was happy with his life, so now he wants to share to others the benefits of marrying a Filipina. But the title of the site was somewhat offending. And it screams "Filipinas desperate for foreigner husbands". And I was not that desperate.



Fuming mad, I wrote to the website developer and demanded that my picture be removed. I explained, as diplomatic as I could, that I was not against Filipinas who wanted to find foreigners as husbands but my parents raised me to be more than a housewife serving foreigners in a relationship called "marriage". Or something more diplomatic than that.


The website developer replied, saying that I should be "flattered" (and yes, with sarcasm)that they chose my picture and they would not have done so if I was not pretty enough. And to add insult to injury, sent me a link of the terms and conditions of Photobucket which allegedly states that whatever is posted on Photobucket could be used by other persons as it becomes public property. But to comply with my "demand" (yes, still with sarcasm), they would remove my picture. No apologies given. But they did remove my picture.


If that site was a fashion magazine site, I would not have felt offended. Or rather exploited. But at least I learned my lesson. And from then on, I made myself conscious of the privacy settings of all my internet accounts and hoped that this would never happen again. Gina Alajar should have done the same thing in her Facebook account too.





Pictures from 
http://www.spot.ph/files/2009/11/jinkee-krista.jpg
http://www.filipinaromance.com/blogpics/filipina_mail_order_brides.jpg


Video from 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDErdZDDVo0

No comments: