Saturday, February 2, 2008

Battery Life

Are you frustrated with the battery life of your cell phone or laptop? Was there ever a time when you wished that your battery life was longer? I do. There are instances when I wish that the battery life of my phone or laptop were longer. For instance, during an out of town trip and I would charge my phone assuming that it would last the entire trip. Unfortunately, there are times when my phone would die and leave me without a phone. Other times I would be rushing to meet deadlines for school or OLA and sadly there would be no outlet to recharge my laptop.

Maybe having appreciably longer battery life for our gadgets shall be a reality in the near future. Researchers from Stanford have discovered how to use silicon nanowires to provide lithium ion batteries ten times more charge. This would be a welcome development because it would greatly improve the use of gadgets. For example, during a long trip you can now continue working on your laptop without worrying about stopping after four hours. You have more freedom to work in places where there are no electric sockets because of the significantly extended battery life.

Well, the technology is unavailable commercially and it could still take several years before it is introduced but it is encouraging to know that it exists.

http://tech.msn.com/news/articlecnet.aspx?cp-documentid=6030112

No comments: