Saturday, February 23, 2008

Filipinos in the Global Media: Technology as an Echo (Part II)

Last week, I began a two-part series discussing how Filipinos are beginning to penetrate the International media. As Filipino exposure is increased through the interconnection between various forms of media, it also receives much help from the participation of the millions of Filipinos as viewers. This proliferation of content in television, movies and the internet through the help of Filipino audiences become most pervasive in cases such as that of interactive media namely text messaging technology and the internet.

I am not sure, but I think Filipinos are very prolific net surfers. Case at point is how many Filipinos I see whenever I enter a MMORPG website or when I get to read messageboards of any sort. Chances are there are Filipinos and surprisingly, they are never alone.

I am also amazed at how many networking sites Filipinos are willing to maintain. It is not unusual for me to find out that a friend of mine has a friendster, multiply and facebook account. This on top of multiple email accounts, a yahoo messenger, chikka account and occasionally a skype account. The really prolific ones even have a meebo, delicious, msn messenger and even more networking sites (ie my space, hi5, live journal etc.), and they are able to keep them active, all of them. I cannot imagine how they are able to do that. My multiply site is practically trash and my facebook account has yet to carry my face. So sad.

As for text messaging, well, Mr. Aritao in his past post, already affirmed that we were able to retain our title as the text messaging capital of the world, so I doubt it if there will be any contention there.

Anyway, I have realized that this particular characteristic of Filipinos as prolific text messaging and Internet users create an echo of the diaspora, because it magnifies the Filipino presence, the Filipino voice. It acts as another channel for Filipino influence everywhere in the world, including Hollywood. It hastens the process of acculturation and provides a platform for the melding of perspectives. After all, media does not only affect life, it also reflects it.

I actually like the idea of a truly world-famous Filipino. I mean don’t get me wrong, I am grateful for Manny Pacquiao and Lea Salonga. It is just that I am thinking of something more. Perhaps the way Jacky Chan represents Hong Kong and China and Gisele Bunchen represents Brazil or something to that effect. Thanks to the Filipino diaspora and the wonders of modern-day technology, I am positive that such an idea may actually come to pass.

- Elgene L. C. Feliciano

No comments: