Friday, February 1, 2008

e-news ?

I don't ever think that i can replace my newsPAPER or broadsheet for an electronic one. Sure, news websites like CNN, that of Inquirer, GMA7 or other news sites can be better updated, even potentially broadcast anything happening as it happens. Sure, it got videos and photos that can not be duplicated by newspapers for obvious reasons. Sure, it comes cheaper, even free if one already has a broadband at home. Plus, it doesn't need to be disposed of after reading.

However, it can not duplicate the convenience of reading a newspaper. Can you read a news site anytime anywhere? My favorite paper can be. I can carry it and read it whenever I want, wherever I want. I can read it while taking my breakfast, while leisurely enjoying a place, or if only to keep me busy during long trips or long waiting periods. One needs only sufficient light to be able to read it. Reading one does not strain one's eyes as much as viewing news from computers.

What I like most in reading news from a broadsheet compared from over a computer is that my mind usually is less hurried, less stressed, less anxious while reading the news. I can think deeper, or more leisurely. I can easily encircle or mark news worth rereading or showing to others. And I can get clips of the news for sharing or for reference later on.

Of course, I can not claim that I do not enjoy reading news over the internet, because I do. There are certain things you can do in news sites, like revisiting past issues or news accounts, or getting an hourly update of some important happening, among others. Only that I declare that I do not think newspapers shall go out of sight, at least not in my time, just as I think books will not go obsolete, despite the new e-book gadgets now available in the market.

No comments: