Thursday, December 8, 2011

Kids these days

I’m amazed how kids these days know far more about technology than I assume they would. Take my nephew, for instance. He knows more about the game Angry Birds than I do. He’s 3 years old. He knows which birds have what powers, and when to tap the screen to activate them. Up until recently, I didn’t even know that. Of course, I’m hardly up to speed with the latest games and gadgets these days. I don’t even think I’m half as knowledgeable as the average teenager. Still, you wouldn’t think you’d need a little boy to teach me how to play a game on the iPad.

I’m assuming that when Apple created the iPad, they weren’t thinking about selling it as a means to pacify little kids in restaurants or in airplanes. In the same manner, I bet when parents bought tablets or iPhones for themselves, they probably never thought that they’d have to share it with their kids. But as reality would have it, many of these gadgets are introduced to little kids early in their childhood in exchange for a quiet dinner out, or a peaceful visit to the dentist. Apparently, many of the toy companies are catching on and are beginning to create new and creative ways for kids to have fun with a tablet. So far, I have read that there are now applications that allow it to convert into a mini karaoke machine, a coloring book, and a racecar track. Kids these days. It’s so much harder to keep them interested. It’s a good thing we have so much more to work with.


Joni R. Gomez, Entry # 2

No comments: