Thursday, December 1, 2011

This machine does not accept 2009 and 2010 coins.


I always wondered why and how the lines before the LRT ticket vending machines get so long.  I believe the ticket vending machines were installed to make ticketing fast and easy and cut the queuing time.  To get a ticket, just press the button corresponding to the train station of your destination, put coins in the coin slot and take the ticket from the ticket slot.  One person can do all these in just 3 seconds (or maybe even less if you need only put two coins in like a ten peso coin and a five peso coin for a fifteen peso ticket).  With this dispensing speed, I really could not fathom why, with only like a dozen people in front of me, it takes more than 15 minutes to finally be the third person in line.  The person making his purchase gave me the answer. I see the person making his purchase.  He hits the button to wherever he’s going and drops the coins in the coin slot.  The coins drop into the change box.  He tried to put the coins in again but fails a second, a third and a fourth time when finally the second person in line offers to change his coin with an older coin.  Finally, after more than a minute, the guy got his ticket. 

Just above the vending machine a note reads, “This machine does not accept 2009 and 2010 coins.”  Hate to be rude, but sometimes, I just can’t help it.  How can you not see the note?  Okay, let’s give him the benefit of the doubt.  Maybe he’s really just in a rush and he just missed the note, or it’s his first train ride and the people and the place just overwhelmed him, or maybe he got really dull eyes, or he really could not read…or…or maybe he’s really just lazy and stubborn (my favorite reason so far).  That guy could have spared me and all the others a minute of waiting in line if he just read the note!  Well, this is me ranting (Can you blame me? I almost missed a class). But seriously, imagine how easier things could be if people just learn how to read, understand and follow.  

Reading simple instructions could not only save time, it could also save money, resources, and even lives.   Reading food and drug labels, for one, can save one from long term health hazards, if not death.  Following road signs could spare all of us from traffic.  It can save us time, money and energy.  In law school, reading simple instructions can make or break an exam.  The list can go on but what I’m trying to drive at is really plain and simple.  Read...please!


Maricor Estrella, Entry #1

No comments: