Wednesday, October 5, 2011

World Without Web

Our connection with PLDT has always been spotty and this week of all weeks is no exception. We had a dead phone line which I reported 4 days ago and they still have not gotten around to fixing it even though I have called them about three times a day everyday asking for updates. They say that they had to do a line test first then a technical dude would be dispatched only 24 to 48 hours later. Today is Thursday and we still don't have a phone line. Bummer.

I don't really get how a landline could get intermittent connection for a long time! I report it to PLDT every time and they say that they have already fixed it. Next month comes and we don't have internet for a night again. That is just wrong! They charge too much for the service they don't provide very well.

I usually check my mail and news at least once a day but I haven't been able to do that for a long time now. I feel like I am some sort of addict going cold turkey and the results are ridiculous. I try to tell myself that it is a good thing because I have to study for my exams but then a voice tells me "But you need to have a break too!." Ridiculous, really. At the very least, I got to read the coverage for my exam for 1 round.

I had a suspecting feeling that I was disconnected in more ways than one. Today, I got online here at school and the headline that stares me at the face is that Steve Jobs died. That was morbid. It seems that I always get to hear or see news of people who died early in the morning. Rest in peace Mr. Steve. The world is not the same without you.

Now that I've experienced my nth time without the web, I think that I have learned more out of this experience because of my time with ICT. I realized that I really need the Web but people there are others out there who really need it more than I do. I also realized that there is so much untapped potential out there to develop ICT in this country and that we don't have a well structured policy or legislation to support its use. Lastly, I think that I am going to miss this class and wish that I could take it in some for or another. Maybe ICT Part 2? Anyway, thanks for a fun semester and for all the new issues I've learned. Now, about the bar...

Entry 16

No comments: