Tuesday, June 21, 2011

channels of communication

DOJ opinion is that internet is not mass media. However, it's crazy how when i expressed the intent to write about a certain dementor in school, my friends quickly advised me against it, because it will definitely reach the dementor concerned and will redound back to my grade.

Blogging is a form of expressing ones' self. I didn't really have a blogging account before, and my sister warned me about posting personal stuff even on facebook because prospective employers may be able to read it, and not everything personal should be available for people to know. hence, even my facebook status updates has been limited.

It makes me wonder if the self-restraint against writing my opinion is violative of freedom of expression ^_^. It feels like if i agree to not write about dementors, then i'm cowering and letting them run loose, even if the chair of the ministry could round them about instead of allowing them loose, lurking within Hogwarts.

I agree that internet is not mass media though, because so many homes in the Philippines do not have their own computer even, what more internet access; as much as courts in provinces don't even have facilities and some are make-shift from whatever shelter is available to be used as courts. 

The DOJ opinion's basis used the definition of mass media versus the definition of the internet. 

However, if my basis is availability of computers and internet in households, then I suppose even television and radio might not be "mass media" because there's so many homes in the Philippines who do not have television or radio either. There's so many families who don't have homes even. 

Argh this post is making me sad so early in the morning. Life is already so complicated and drama-filled which is why i prefer watching comedy anyway! Guess I'll stop til I can write something more cheerful next time. 

entry #1



No comments: