Saturday, September 25, 2010

e-BOO(!)k readers


In one of my classes, the professor stated as obiter dictum that books are going to be obsolete, or at least on the way to slowly becoming obsolete. He said that eventually people will subscribe to electronic versions of books hence reading books as we know it will soon become history. My mind revolted in dissent as I could not have disagreed more.

Call me old fashioned but for me nothing beats reading a REAL book. I like the way a new book feels in my hand. The way the paper smells when it has just come out of its plastic packaging. The way the cover is all shiny and pristine when it is new. I love how I could bring a real book to the beach without fear that it may lose its charge or that sand may get in its crevices. I love how I could read a real book as I commute in the MRT without me being a target to scrupulous elements. And I'm sorry but Kindle, or whatever e-book reader there is out there, cannot replace the feeling I get as I turn the last page of a great book. For me reading books is more than just seeing words and processing them; it is a tactile experience that is to be enjoyed and savored. And that is something that an e-book readers cannot provide.

And eventhough a lot of people will disagree with me, this is one case wherein I will gladly judge a book by its cover, or lack thereof.

No comments: