Saturday, September 25, 2010

IMHO: We should be prepared for Cyberwars and Cyber Attacks


My partner and I discussed cyberwars over running errands two weekends ago. He mentioned that there's a worm called Stuxnet that can make factory plants explode according to recent news. We discussed this while I complain about my laptop crashing down when it's nearing finals week. I was absentmindedly putting bread, spread, and hotdogs into the grocery cart thinking about how vulnerable these computer systems are. I was mentally listing things I do with my laptop and how I can still be productive without it. (I decided to just wake up early everyday so that I can use the library's computer for work and school for free--working in the library is productive.) Until, I realized, he was really trying to engage me in a discussion so that I will stop thinking about my laptop.

Over text, we exchanged messages talking about international relations and law--whether the UN Security Council will have jurisdiction over this, whether this is similar to the nuclear testing case by France, whether the High Court has jurisdiction, and others. I was thinking whether impunity will be enjoyed by the perpetrator. He decided to write a paper on it while I promised myself to read more about it (since the topic that was approved for my SLR was on the Automated Elections). Risks. Management. IT. Cyberlibertarianism. Just some of the things that got stuck in my head.

IMHO, people should read more about digital armory and how in the future, ICT risk management will be a lucrative niche of our generation.

Is Stuxnet the best malware ever? Will I ever get my laptop back?

Paulyn Duman
Blog #19

No comments: