Thursday, September 23, 2010

Of Dads and Old Magazines


Sometimes I forget that I live with two engineers - my dad and my brother. That's because I rarely talk to them about what they do; I think the ten-years-younger version of myself attempted before, and decided she just couldn't understand any of it, so why bother.

But there are days when I am strongly reminded of this fact because: (1) They start talking electronics jargon during family dinners, or (2) I have schoolwork involving the computer/telecoms industry and I am in need of resource persons.

Funny how times change.

Five years ago, I remember talking to my Dad extensively about the VOIP. It was my report in one college class, Strategic Management. I can say I understood it, at least well enough for me to discuss its relevance to the business world. And I couldn't exactly put my finger around it, since it wasn't used at home. But now, it's so widespread, we have Skype, and Yahoo calls, even Gmail joined the fray.

The other day I was cleaning house for an upcoming rummage sale. And I saw some old magazines belonging to my Dad. These included Business Executive Digests, all the Intelsat and Commsat materials, Technology Review, etc. published in the 1980's. I wondered how much they can be sold: 2 pieces for P50? 1 piece at P10 each?

And then I thought, I'd want to read them all first and COMPARE how the predictions fared with actual outcomes today as to the rise in developments in the electronics industry. Goodbye, profits. Hello, more reading materials.

Entry No. 15
Rachelle Mayuga

No comments: