Friday, March 19, 2010

Facing Facebook

To appeal in all cases allowed and in the manner provided by law… I never was into social networking sites. Back when Friendster was the hottest, I never had an account. Out of pity, my cousin who was then in high school made one for me but I never used it. Even Multiply is just an arithmetic operation to me. Perhaps I'm just not into virtual connections. I prefer face to face meetings. Yes, that's right. I prefer the warmth of a handshake to the cold glare of a computer monitor. Or maybe I was just making excuses.

This semester, one of my classes required us to post news and updates related to our subject in a Facebook group. Of the 40 or so in class, I was one of only two people who raised their hand when those who had no Facebook account were counted. I felt so "primitive" that I failed to muster the courage look up and see who the other guy was. Bless him whoever he is. I was one person away from being: That guy with no Facebook account. Some probably looked at me and wondered if I came from another planet.

So here I am facing Facebook. And what faces I met. Faces I last saw ten or even twenty years ago, I now get to see again everyday. Who would have thought I'll get re-connected with a Grade Two classmate who emigrated to the U.K. fifteen years ago? And I didn't realize we could have high school reunions everyday. I get to see my high school classmates from around the world, most with older faces, some showing off their kids, all still with that smile that makes it worthwhile to go back to the good old days.

I didn't realize how fast I could connect with old friends. But I also didn't realize how addicting it could be. And how distracting in these days of final exams. Wait, where was I? Oh, Arraignment and Plea, Rule 116. HmmSection 1. how made. The accused must be arraigned before the court where the complaint… Oh darn, my farm is dying! How do I water these plants?! Oh, there it is! Whew, now they're growing again. Wait, where was I, again?

No comments: