Thursday, March 4, 2010

Jail Breaking, Internet-style.

My dad recently got himself a blackberry, and not being a very techie person, is to this day still trying to get used to it. Meanwhile, my mom got herself an iPhone, and is now immersed in all her taptap-type games. I wonder if that makes her a gamer.

Anyway.

The Globe customer service representative told us that one of the strengths of the Blackberry is that it’s unhackable. She said that in the US, politicians use Blackberries because of its secure network, although cameras are not allowed to be installed in the units. In an attempt to help my dad learn more about his new phone, I was reading a log about Blackberries, and the author said he asked an IT guy (a friend of his) whether he’s heard of a Blackberry having been “jail broken.” The IT guy said no.

“Jail breaking,” he said, was basically hacking a phone (such as an iPhone) to allow it to do things it wasn’t intended to do. He said that his IT friend said that “Apple knows everyone would be hacking these things and it seems like they didn’t even try when it comes to security.”

Well. I have to admit that I still don’t really understand it that much. While I suppose I’ll be doing more reading to try to get more of a handle on the concepts, I guess I find myself agreeing with the image below:


Tcha. ;P

[end blog no. 13; images by zaturation and rubenandres77, respectively.]

1 comment:

rmbalisi said...

I also read somewhere that Blackberry has never been hacked, or incapable of being hacked so far. No wonder no "China Phones" yet using Blackberry apps.

"Life was much easier when they were only fruits" - Agree!