Thursday, March 4, 2010

I miss peyups!

To those who are not familiar, peyups.com is an online community of UP students. I’ve been visiting this website on a daily basis since I entered college. What I like about the website is the forums section. There, I can post about anything under the sun and comment on other people’s posts also. Because it is mostly populated by fellow students (not just from UP, although most of them are from UP), I can be assured that all of us practically have the same interests, concerns or “wavelength”, so to speak. When I was an undergrad, I remember that through peyups, I get insights on who the best professors are, what cool electives to take, which org has the cutest members, where to hang out in the middle of classes, etc. Aside from that, there are plenty of other discussions relating to movies, food, travel, jobs, relationships and of course, music.

There are plenty of other forums in the web. What’s good about forums is that users can choose to be anonymous. The only semblance of a regulating body in an online forum is probably the website’s moderators who are basically responsible for the forum’s design, technical maintenance and policies. Despite this, users could get carried away by a heated discussion, hence resulting to word wars online. Hence, since an online forum can be considered as a public area, it is also a possible means of committing defamation or libel. But so far no such case has been filed by a peyups user.

Up to now, the forums section of peyups is still down. It’s as if I’ve lost a part of my routine. I just wish it will be back soon.


(Fifteenth Entry)

No comments: