Saturday, March 13, 2010

Immortality Meets Reality: Globe Discontinues Its Immortal Offers


I’ve been using Globe’s immortal text offer since last November 2009 and it was really a very good promotion. 10 pesos will give you 50 texts globe to globe, 10 texts to other networks AND these texts are not subject to a time period (hence the immortal name). A text message normally costs 1 piso but under the immortal text promo 10 pesos is roughly equivalent to 60 texts (with no expiry period).

Unfortunately, despite the “immortality” of the texts, the promo period does expire. So I was surprised when I could no longer register under the promo last February. Fortunately, I still had a balance of more than 1000 accumulated globe to globe immortal texts and which Globe will continue to honor.

Globe and the other telecoms are now more aggressive with their unlimited text offering within their individual networks. I personally never avail of this offers given their limited time period and the fact that I am not a heavy text user. What’s funny is that a large chunk of the billions that the telecoms earn is from the internetwork traffic between them. It would seem that Globe, Smart, and Sun need each other.

I also happen to notice that I am starting to rely more on Facebook and other online communication tools. It would be interesting to see what effect Facebook has had on the telecom business. Are people texting less? Or are telecoms actually earning from the use of wireless internet?

13th Entry

No comments: