Friday, September 3, 2010

Joining the Bar Madness

Today is the first Bar Weekend. I think having the much lionized Bar Exams (Exam/s) as a topic for my entry would be appropriate. One point that I would like to focus on is its transition to automation.

Justice Abad, the one in-charge for the Bar Exams next year, has been quite vocal and aggressive in pushing for reforms. One notable reform is the Multiple Choice type which comprises 60% of the Exam, and which may very well be considered as the qualifying/screening level. It entails the usual shading of the circle or box which corresponds to the best correct answer. There are also rumors that the checking of the exam will be automated, in the sense that a PCOS-like machine will be used and seconds after feeding the answer sheet into it, a message of “Congratulations!” or “Sorry…” will show. This automation is also intended to release the Exam Results by December, which means that you either have a “Merry Christmas” or a “Silent Night”. Yes, the boon and bane of automation.

I just hope that despite all this hullabaloo on the Bar Exams, I will pass no matter what. I just want to close this chapter on law school in my life, and start afresh with a job that finances the things I really want to do. Yes, law school was not my first and best choice, but it was a viable choice which I learned to love and defend, mainly because the Bar Exams fueled its stature on the pedestal and the unsuspecting public still overrates it with awe.

-Michelle P. M. Sabitsana

No comments: