Wednesday, November 19, 2008

“Getting my hands dirty”

Looking back, I’m thankful that my childhood was filled with days spent outdoors or sitting down reading a fairytale. Which makes me think, what will the children of today look back on and treasure?

I look at my cousins and their idea of a wonderful afternoon is playing online games or searching for nonsense videos on YouTube. Gone are the days when children rush out the doors to play under the sun or when adults answer questions with “Go look it up in the dictionary,” instead, we’re answered with “Go check the internet.”

Which leads me to question whether technology marks a progression in society or is merely an invention which will later send us spiraling into a blackhole of laziness and deterioration. While it is a fact that technological advancements have made life easier for us all, are these “conveniences” worth what we lose in terms of physically experiencing something?

I won’t lie, I don’t know what life would be like without these innovations. However, as I sit here thinking about my life before I was introduced to the wonders of technology, I know that I’d trade all the conveniences for a chance to get my hands dirty.

No comments: