Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Late Bloomer.

Back during highschool, we didn't have a computer at home. I would do my projects at a computer shop (imagine how much I've spent for those hours of computer rental) or by using a relative's computer. It would be a delight for me to use one at my school's computer lab, even though they are only equipped with MS Office and we were required to make DOS applications using blah-codes. And of course, the students always loved the ponyChat during class even though it's merely an intranet chat utility.

In college, my parents (finally) realized the need for a computer so we got one. However, this still was not enough because internet connection already became a necessity at that time. Dial-up. Yes, that crap helped me make through. I literally became stuck in front of the computer, clacking the keyboard away. IRC, mailing lists, Ragnarok, LJ, and the list goes on. I even got to learn HTML codes just by reading and asking online friends. Yes, I did make friends who, surprisingly up until now, remain good real-life friends.

Now, I've got a laptop and a (ubercool!) DSL connection at home. It was very much dictated by the necessity of emails, mailing lists and employment. Of course, it was also due to the fact that I am one of many Filipinos who have relatives and friends living and working abroad and that keeping in touch with them is something to keep in mind.

Yes, I was a "late bloomer" to the world of internet but hey, I was still able to learn a lot for the past years. I just realize however, that no matter how much you try to catch up, there will always be something new to learn. There will always be a new development in every field. There will always be something interesting to read about. Maybe that is why it has already become very much embedded to the point of calling it a necessity.

No comments: