Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Magic Jack

For years, keeping in touch with family and friends in the United States had been tricky. Snail mail took forever to get where it was supposed to be, if it even did, while long-distance phone calls cost a small fortune. Today, thankfully, we have electronic mail and instant messaging.
But wait. There’s more! Introducing “Magic Jack,” a Universal Serial Bus (USB) based Voice Over Internet Protocol (VoIP) service. The unit is about the size of a matchbox. It connects directly to any computer’s USB port, and for a small fee and with Internet access, you are free to make unlimited phone calls to anywhere in North America, with no hidden charges and no frills attached.
Relocating to Manila after spending much of my formative years in the United States was not easy. Although I know the Philippines is where I want to be now, I am guilty of sometimes still referring to America as “home” maybe because it has always been hard missing the family and friends I had to leave behind. But communications technology has afforded me a means to be a phone call away from them and somehow, get that feeling that I was right back “home.”

No comments: