Wednesday, November 17, 2010

The Social Network

I don’t own a facebook account. Primitive? Yes. But by choice.

When asked why, all I can answer is that I just don’t have the time but in reality I think the real reason of not opening an account is the possibility that it would only be a futile, useless, addictive waste of time. There are just some things you don’t start lest you get hooked to it. For me facebook is one of those things.

It was a surprise that I even watched the movie the social network since I am a non-stakeholder. The film’s tag line holds true: “You don’t get to 500 million friends without making a few enemies.” It is quite ironic how a program for connecting people ended up disconnecting best friends, all for the sake of property rights, money, and fame.

When the dollar starts talking, one can't even hear the voice of reason nor friendship.

So I guess, I'd continue being facebook-less for the time being, there are still other modes of connecting with people, ways more personal, more authentic. Friendster anyone? =)

No comments: